1. the ____ cats that are still found in some remote places are distantly related to our friendly domestic companions.
[a] savage [b] wild
[c] cruel [d] untamed
2. there are two ____ mistakes in this sentence. can you point them out?
[a] arranged [b] planned
[c] deliberate [d] calculated
3. the large crowds lingering in the streets were quickly ____ by the heavy rain.
[a] dispersed [b] removed
[c] disposed [d] disappeared
4. john says that his present job does not provide him with enough ____ for his organizing ability.
[a] range [b] space
[c] capacity [d] scope
5. although i tried to concentrate on the lecture i was ____ by the noise from the next door.
[a] disturbed [b] interrupted
[c] distracted [d] interfered
6. the soldiers ____ themselves by wearing white garments in the snow.
[a] pretended [b] masked
[c] disguised [d] concealed
7. the burglar ____ the woman in her stomach with a knife and she died soon.
[a] entered [b] perceived
[c] permeated [d] stabbed
8. i didn’t make out what the professor means because his handwriting is so ____.
[a] eligible [b] illegible
[c] knowledgeable [d] vague
9. the lieutenant is tall and big and looks very ____ in his new army uniform.
[a] childlike [b] vulnerable
[c] versatile [d] masculine
10. the ____ meaning of "blue" is a color, but it can also mean "unhappy".
[a] literate [b] literary
[c] literal [d] lingering
11. recently a number of cases have been reported of young children ____ a violent act previously seen on television.
[a] modifying [b] stimulating
[c] accelerating [d] duplicating
12. reading ____ the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours.
[a] rectifies [b] prolongs
[c] furnishes [d] minimises
13. to write a summary effectively, you will need to ____ words for phrases, phrases for sentences, and general entrances for lists of details.
[a] convert [b] complement
[c] substitute [d] constitute
14. professor light asked his secretary to ____ a hundred copies of this article on the duplicating machine.
[a] run over [b] run down
[c] run into [d] run off
15. during the famine of 1943, millions of chinese peasants ____ to the cities because they could not survive in the rural areas.
[a] migrated [b] emigrated
[c] mobilized [d] immigrated